Anderson County and its county seat, Anderson, were named form Revolutionary War General Robert Anderson (1741 - 1812). In 1801, Samuel Earle established Andersonville from 340 acres he had purchased from Robert Anderson, for whom the town was named. Samuel and Baylis Earle served as commissioners who laid out the town which was then located at the juncture of the Seneca and Savannah Rivers near Harrison's Ferry. The town served as an important trading center for the Upstate. The area was given its present name in 1826, when Pendleton District was split into Anderson and Pickens. Anderson County contains 718 square miles in the Piedmont area. It is bordered on the west by the Savannah River and Lake Hartwell, on the North by Pickens and Oconee Counties, on the east by the Saluda River, and on the south by Abbeville County.
Anderson County consists of seven districts in a Council-Administrator form of government under the South Carolina Home Rule Act of 1976. Council members are elected in the general election for terms of two years commencing on the First of January following their election. The Council employs an Administrator who is the administrative head of the county government and is responsible for the administration of all departments of the county government which the council has authority to control.