Active Duty Military Information
What property is included in the Active Military Exemption and how do I apply?
- If your home of record is NOT South Carolina, you do not have to pay personal property taxes on property you own while permanently stationed in this state.
- This exemption does not include county taxes on real property.
- The exemption covers motor vehicles (including trucks), motorcycles, campers, and motor homes.
- To obtain the exemption, the service member must submit their latest Leave & Earnings Statement to the Auditor’s Office.
- The documents can be submitted by mail, fax and email or in person.
- The exemption is valid for only one tax year, so it will be necessary to reapply each year.
SC DOR Regulated Exemptions
- POW, Medal of Honor recipients with a service connected total disability can receive total property tax exemption for home (and up to one acre) and up to two vehicles. DMV fees are exempt as well. (POW and Medal of Honor benefits carry to surviving spouse for vehicles and home.)
- A Military veteran who is totally and permanently disabled from a service related cause is also exempt from property tax. (Home and one acre of land that the home sits on and up to two vehicles.)
- Spouse of a veteran, police, or fireman killed in the line of duty also qualifies. (Home and one acre of land that the home sits on.)
Call the Auditor’s Office at (864) 260-4027 for more information. Applications for SCDOR Exemptions must be sent to the Department of Revenue. Click on one of the following links that best describes which you are applying for:
Should you have questions or problems completing either form, please feel free to contact us.