Jennifer L. Johnson
Chief Circuit Public Defender
10th Judicial Circuit
In 2007, the South Carolina General Assembly enacted legislation creating a statewide public defender system. The Tenth Judicial Circuit is comprised of Anderson and Oconee Counties. Jennifer L. Johnson was appointed as the Circuit Public Defender in 2017.
The mission of the Office of the Public Defender is to provide indigent defendants with quality legal representation in an effective and efficient manner. If you have been charged with a crime and cannot afford an attorney, you will be assigned an attorney from the public defender's office. Our office's practice consists solely of criminal defense litigation. We defend adults and juveniles charged with crimes ranging from driving under suspension to capital murder.
- IN JAIL or PRISON: If you (or your loved one) are currently in jail, our jail coordinator will visit you usually within 48 hours of your arrest to see if you wish to have an attorney appointed to represent you. Your case will then be assigned to one of our trained attorneys
- OUT ON BOND: If you (or your loved one) are currently out on bond with pending charges, please take a copy of ALL your warrants/tickets/citations and proof of your income to County Clerk of Court office located in Main Courthouse of Anderson County, 100 South Main St Anderson SC
- The person charged with the crime must appear personally at the Clerk of Court office.
- The Clerk's office charges a processing fee of $40 to apply for Public Defender if you qualify.
- The 10th Circuit Public Defender office is not appointed to cases in any municipalities in Oconee County at this time. You should appear at your court hearing and request that Court to appoint an attorney to represent you.